These easy air fryer green beans are full of flavor and crunch and are super simple to whip up. If the thought of wilted, sad beans scares you, this is the recipe you’ll need– the beans are bright green, crisp, and perfectly seasoned.
Why You’ll Love My Air Fryer Green Beans Recipe
- Crispy texture with less oil: Air-fried green beans are crunchy without excessive oil. The hot circulating air in the air fryer crisps up the beans, giving them the best crunch. They give you that fried food feeling without the nasty oil load.
- Retains nutritional value: The quick cooking process in the air fryer preserves more nutrients than traditional frying or boiling methods.
- Quick and convenient: With minimal prep time and a shorter cooking duration than conventional methods, the air fryer allows you to have crispy green beans on the table in a fraction of the time. It’s a great mid-week side.
- Versatility in flavoring them: I recommend experimenting with different herbs, spices, and flavorings like garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, or Parmesan cheese. There is honestly so much you can do with them!
Ingredients you’ll need
- Green beans: Choose fresh green beans that are vibrant in color and firm to the touch. Avoid beans that are wilted or have brown spots. Rinse the green beans thoroughly under cold water and pat them dry before using.
- Olive oil: Use extra-virgin olive oil for a rich flavor. Alternatively, you can use a lighter olive oil if you prefer a milder taste.
- Salt and pepper: Seasoning your beans well is key to bringing out their best flavor.
- Lemon juice: Freshly squeezed lemon juice adds a refreshing citrusy flavor to the green beans. You can drizzle it over the cooked beans just before serving. I recommend fresh lime juice as an alternative.
How To Make Air Fryer Green Beans
Step 1: Firstly, prepare the green beans by sipping off their stems and cutting larger ones in half. You want them all to be roughly the same size.
Step 2: Secondly, season the green beans in a large bowl with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place the green beans in the air fryer basket.
Step 3: Finally, cook the green beans for 8-10 minutes at 370°F. Turn the basket halfway through the cooking time. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the beans and serve immediately.
Recipe Tips for the Best Air Fryer Green Beans
- Preheat your air fryer before adding the green beans to ensure even cooking.
- Arrange the green beans in a single layer in the air fryer basket to allow proper airflow, which helps in achieving a crispy texture.
- Cooking times may vary depending on the air fryer model and the desired level of doneness. Check the beans from time to time, and shake the basket to ensure they cook evenly. They are low maintenance but will still need a little of your attention.
Add-ins and Toppings
What I love about this recipe is that I can add loads of flavors to it; here are a few of my favorites:
- Toasted cumin and mustard seeds
- Lemon zest
- Toasted almonds and a drizzle of maple syrup
- Chili powder
- Freshly chopped mint and orange juice
Yes, I recommend trimming the ends of the green beans before cooking them.
Yes, you can. They might not come out quite as crispy as fresh green beans will. Thaw and pat dry the frozen green beans before tossing them in olive oil and seasoning to help with the crispness.
To prevent the green beans from drying or burning, coat them evenly with olive oil before air frying. Try not to overcrowd the air fryer basket; arrange the beans in a single layer to allow proper airflow. Check the beans periodically while cooking and adjust the cooking time as needed to achieve the desired level of doneness without burning.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Green Beans
- 1 pound green beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil*
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- lemon juice (for serving)
- Prepare the green beans by trimming their stems and cutting larger ones in half to ensure they are relatively equal in size.
- Season the green beans in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place the green beans in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry the green beans for 8–10 minutes at 370°F. Turn the basket halfway through the cooking time.
- Sprinkle with fresh lemon juice and serve immediately.