Last weekend, I felt like baking something, and it had to be healthy. Since I had some ripe bananas left, I decided to go for vegan protein muffins with banana.
And let me tell you right from the start: These sugar-free protein muffins taste incredibly delicious and are also super healthy, with only 140 calories per muffin!
That’s why you’ll love my Protein Muffin Recipe
- Vegan (dairy-free and without animal products)
- High in protein
- Super moist
- Easy to make
- A healthy snack for in between!
Ingredients you’ll need
- Ripe Bananas – You’ll definitely taste the bananas, and I always find it a great way to use up ripe bananas for baking.
- Oat Milk – I deliberately chose oat milk for this recipe to make the protein muffins vegan.
- Spelt Flour – I recommend using spelt flour as it is much healthier than wheat flour.
- Vegan Protein Powder – Choose the brand of your choice.
- Applesauce and Soy Yogurt – These make your muffins less dry.
- Sugar Substitute – Of course, we don’t want to miss out on sweetness.
- Chocolate Chips – They not only look good as decoration on the muffins but also taste great. I recommend using vegan chocolate chips.
- Walnuts and Peanut Butter – I simply love using nuts in baking! And when combined with peanut butter? Simply a dream!
- And, of course, don’t forget the baking powder and cinnamon while baking to make your muffins rise nicely and round off the flavor.
The exact quantities for the recipe can be found below in my recipe card.
How to Make the best Protein Muffins
Step 1 – Banana Mash:
Begin by mashing the bananas in a bowl with a trusty fork.
Step 2 – Protein Powerhouse:
Add the protein powder, applesauce, soy yogurt, and oat milk to the banana mash, and blend them together until thoroughly combined.
Step 3 – Flourish with Flavors:
Introduce the spelt flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and the chopped nuts to the mix, stirring until all elements harmonize.
Step 4 – Sweetening Touch:
Sweeten the batter with a sugar substitute and gently fold in the delectable chocolate chips.
Step 5 – Layering Art:
Distribute roughly 3/4 of the batter into 12 muffin cups, reserving the rest.
Step 6 – Peanut Butter Surprise:
Nestle a teaspoon of peanut butter into each muffin cup, then layer on the remaining batter.
Step 7 – Oven Prelude:
Preheat your oven to 350°F, getting it ready for the muffin masterpiece.
Step 8 – Bake to Perfection:
Allow your muffins to bake for approximately 40 minutes, and let the magic unfold.
- Banana Bliss: Opt for ripe bananas, as they bring natural sweetness and moisture to your muffins.
- Protein Palette: Get creative with vegan protein powder flavors; chocolate, vanilla, or berry varieties can infuse your muffins with unique taste sensations.
- Nut Butter Variety: While peanut butter is a classic, don’t hesitate to explore almond or cashew butter for an enticing flavor twist.
- Mix with Care: Avoid overmixing the batter to maintain a light and fluffy texture; blend until ingredients are just harmoniously combined.
If you’re not aiming for a vegan twist, regular milk works just fine.
If protein isn’t a priority, feel free to skip the protein powder, or experiment with almond flour or coconut flour for a unique texture.
Swap out peanut butter with alternatives like almond butter or cashew butter for a delightful twist.
To preserve their freshness, store the muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or refrigerate for an extended shelf life.
Protein Muffins with Banana
- Begin by mashing the bananas in a bowl, then unite them with protein powder, applesauce, soy yogurt, and oat milk.
- Incorporate spelt flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and the finely chopped nuts.
- Sweeten the batter with sugar substitute and introduce a generous handful of chocolate chips.
- Distribute approximately 3/4 of the batter among 12 muffin cups, reserving the remaining portion.
- Drop a delightful teaspoon of peanut butter into each muffin cup, then layer on the remaining batter.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F, getting it ready to bake these muffin wonders.
- Let your muffins bake for about 40 minutes, allowing the magic to unfold.